Both teams took to the Rec this midweek and although both played some entertaining football, they had vastly differing fortunes.

The firsts welcomed Cromwell Youth to the village on Tuesday for what turned out to be one of if not the most entertaining game of the season. The visitors started in storming fashion, and took the lead when one of their forwards chased down a lost cause and managed to pull the ball back to a team mate in front of goal. That though spurred the Wasps into a purple patch of their own, equalising when Marc Taylor finished a good move. 

The Wasps took the lead early in the second half with the ball running to Jace Williams who took on his man before firing low into the net from the edge of the box. Within a couple of minutes though it was the visitors with a fine strike of their own; their striker turning 20 yards out and finding the top corner. The game took another twist as centre half Josh Taylor's attempted last ditch challenge not only resulted in a duly converted penalty but a straight red card. Though down to ten men the Wasps continued to attack, getting due reward when Williams volleyed home an unstoppable finish. With both teams playing some excellent football and creating chances it was down to the two keepers to excel, both pulling out some fantastic finger tip saves to keep the scores level. There was heartbreak though in the final moments, a long ball from the back finding a Cromwell striker in space who strode forward and buried a firm strike past Pearce in the Wasps goal to grab the three points. A disappointing end to what had been a thoroughly absorbing game that both sides contributed enormously to.

On Thursday it was the Seconds turn as they entertained an equally young Cwmffrwdoer side, and on a greasy surface played some slick passing play of their own, racing into a 3-0 half time lead, goals coming from Tom York, Josh Baynton and Charlie Lewis-Prosser with his fourth in three games. The start of the second half though saw the young Wasps take their foot off the gas, allowing the visitors to grab two quick goals to make the game a lot more tense than it should have been. A fourth goal though from Jack Price settled matters and the hosts got back to the passing and movement they had shown earlier to finish the game in control.

That victory guarantees the side a fifth place finish in the league with a game to go, as well as being the highest finishing reserve team. A very pleasing outcome for a team with so many players in their first year of senior football, perfectly showcased by three of the four goals tonight being scored by 16 year olds. They will look to follow this up with a trip to PILCS in the cup this Saturday, while the firsts host Spencer Youth.